Saturday 29 October 2011

LOB by Linda Newbery, reviewed by Ann Turnbull


This lovely, poetic story for younger children has a classic feel to it.

Lucy's grandfather tells her about Lob, who helps him in his garden.  No-one else in the family can see Lob, but Grandpa Will knows he is there.  "Lob-work" is what he does: filling the watering-cans, sweeping up the leaves, cleaning the tools and hanging them neatly in the tool-shed.  Only certain people can see Lob.  Lucy longs to be one of them, and is thrilled when at last she catches a glimpse of him.

So far, so idyllic.  But change comes, and it's sudden and brutal.  Lucy must cope with loss and with an undermining of her belief.  And Lob must set off in search of a new home. As Lucy, in south London, longs for Lob to come to her, so Lob, walking the roads, feels a pull towards the south and follows it, despite setbacks and danger.

Walking is slow.  During the year that Lucy waits for Lob, she learns to adapt to her changed life, to resist the taunts of others and hold fast to her beliefs, and - above all - to have patience as the seasons come and go.  And in the end, all is well.

This is a story that celebrates the life-force, the earth itself, and all green, growing things.  It's about the joy of gardening, the neighbourliness of allotments, the cycle of life and age-old beliefs in the Green Man.  It's also about the stranger in our midst who may be in need of kindness.  Lob - a tired little old man on the road, and yet the one who will bring new life to all growing things - is a powerful image.

The black and white illustrations by Pam Smy perfectly complement the story.  They are subtle, with a secretive feel to them.  And here and there, if you look closely, you may see Lob.

Return to REVIEWS HOMEPAGE

5 comments:

Linda Strachan said...

I loved this book!

Exmoorjane said...

This sounds magical... we need more books like that..I have a YA book on shamanism I am preparing to self-publish but start 'em young, is my belief... :)
I toddled over to thank you so much for your comment on my blog. I have those photos too and they break my heart...and had the PND to go with the guilt.. Great eh? *rueful smile*... If that post makes at least ONE woman not beat herself up, I will consider it totally worth it! xxxxxxxxx

Exmoorjane said...

Oops, just realised this is a joint-venture blog - the comment re my blog is intended for Gillian...

adele said...

I thought LOB was a fine piece of work too, and a brilliant example also of the printer's art. Just beautiful.

Cassie Bailey said...

Hello I'm so happy sharing this, I still can’t thank you enough powerful Priest Elijah, My husband left for a younger lady because i was unable to give birth due to PCOS,I was so devastated i was lonely i cried a lot i even tried taking my life, Then my friend told me about this great man Priest Elijah who helped her made her marriage perfect, I also went online and did more research about him i was not too sure but i decided to give him a try he told me not to worry everything was going to be alright, He told me all i needed to pay which was a convenient fee and i did and he did his work and sent me video proof and told me to wait 24hrs that he will be back, The next morning to my greatest surprise it was Shawn my husband on his knees begging I'm so happy, It didn’t stop there, I'm proud to say that I'm 3 weeks pregnant thank you so much Priest Elijah I'm forever grateful contact him

universalspellhelp@gmail.com

WhatsApp him +2347054380994

Post a Comment