Friday 16 March 2012

THE HAPPY BOOK, by Malachy Doyle, illustrated by Caroline Uff, reviewed by Pippa Goodhart

This is a beautifully simple book. It simply states the things that we should do less, and the things that we should do more. For example,

'Squabble less. Share more!
Snivel less. Snuggle more!
Grumble less. Giggle more!'

Each negative and positive are illustrated on facing pages, and we see in Caroline Uff's gentle and humorous illustrations what the effects of those actions are on a group of small children.

I love the alliterative enjoyment of language that makes this book a joy to read out loud. I suspect that only Malachy Doyle could make a list of instructions read as poetry without adding a single fuss or literary frill!

I imagine that maybe other publishers turned this book down before Bloomsbury recognised it's potential. They'll have said, 'But it hasn't got a story' ... totally missing the fact that there are a range of unspoken short stories in each before-and-after pairing of pictures. Even the smallest child will 'read' those pictures, and they will understand exactly what is going on because the situations and emotions evoked are all ones which they will recognise from their own lives.

Thought-provoking, funny and kind; this is a book that I wish I'd written!

Return to REVIEWS HOMEPAGE

4 comments:

Ann Turnbull said...

Oh, this sounds lovely! And I have a couple of small relatives with birthdays coming up...

malachy doyle said...

Most kind, Pippa. And you're right - Bloomsbury weren't exactly the first to see the text, but they were the first to see its potential. I'd come up with the idea, and hopefully the best means of expressing it, but it was all down to the illustrator, really, to make it into a book that children (and parents) would enjoy.

Cassie Bailey said...

Hello I'm so happy sharing this, I still can’t thank you enough powerful Priest Elijah, My husband left for a younger lady because i was unable to give birth due to PCOS,I was so devastated i was lonely i cried a lot i even tried taking my life, Then my friend told me about this great man Priest Elijah who helped her made her marriage perfect, I also went online and did more research about him i was not too sure but i decided to give him a try he told me not to worry everything was going to be alright, He told me all i needed to pay which was a convenient fee and i did and he did his work and sent me video proof and told me to wait 24hrs that he will be back, The next morning to my greatest surprise it was Shawn my husband on his knees begging I'm so happy, It didn’t stop there, I'm proud to say that I'm 3 weeks pregnant thank you so much Priest Elijah I'm forever grateful contact him

universalspellhelp@gmail.com

WhatsApp him +2347054380994

Unknown said...

Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the future! Financing made easy with Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS

Have you been looking for financing options for your new business plans, Are you seeking for a loan to expand your existing business, Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and you don’t know which way to go or where to turn to? Have you been turned down by your banks? MRS. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS says YES when your banks say NO. Contact us as we offer financial services at a low and affordable interest rate of 2% for long and short term loans. Interested applicants should contact us for further loan acquisition procedures via profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

Services rendered include:

*Refinancing Loans
* Car Loan
*Truck Loans
* Home Loan
* Mortgage Loan
* Debt Consolidation Loan
* Farm Loan
* Business Loan [secure and unsecured]
* Personal Loan [secure and unsecured]
* Students Loan and so many others.

For more info; Contact us via Email: profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

With Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS. you can say goodbye to all your financial crisis and difficulties as we are certified, trustworthy, reliable, efficient, fast and dynamic

Post a Comment