Thursday 1 March 2012

A SURPRISE OF A GUEST FOR WORLD BOOK DAY.


Awfully Big Review had hoped to bring you a Guest Review today for World Book Day but, as they say, life happened. A real life Guest didn’t work out.

All is not lost. 

Today I was out on a school visit, waiting in the hall. I ran my eyes over  rows of bright books in the enormous wheelie book fair crates and silently mutteried to myself about the mysterious world bookselling.

I was stopped short by a moment of delight. For a second, I was unable to believe the title although I’d understood it totally. Immediately I wanted to shout about it and today’s Awfully Big Review seemed just the place.

So allow me to introduce our World Book Day Guest, THE SLEEKIT MR TOD, who was, in his earlier version, one of my favourite Dahl inventions.

I do have very mixed feelings about the writer Roald Dahl. He had some fantastic ideas and wrote some great stories. AHowever, although the author is no longer with us, a campaign of enthusiastic marketing means that his face and books are displayed around classrooms across the land. 

It is almost as if Dahl has grown into a kind of BFG himself,. his legend overshadowing living children's authors and the current wealth of books, at least in many minds. His name is one of the few that all teachers know.
 
Bah! Away from such malignant thoughts and on to the glorious title. 

 The famous fox tale has been translated  by James Robertson, writer, Salture Book Award winner, poet and the first Writer in Residence at the Scottish Parliament. Here’s an extract of Robertson’s version for you to enjoy:

Mr Tod sleeked up the dark tunnel tae the mooth o his hole. He pit his lang brawsoe face oot intae the nicht air and took a snifter. He jeeds himself an inch or twa forrit and stapped.

He took anither snifter. He wis ayewise gey cannie when he cam oot fae his hole.

He jeeds forrit a wee bittie mair. The front hauf of him wis noo oot in the open.

His black neb twigged and wiggle-waggled, snowkin and snifterin for the scent o danger. He fund nane, and he wis jist aboot tae pad forrit intae the widd when he heard – or thocht he heard – a peerie wee soond, a saft reeshle, as if a body had moved a fit, jist as lown as could be, through a rickle o dry leaves.

Mr Tod streeked himsel flat on the grund and lay gey still, his lugs cockit. He steyed where he wis a lang while, but he didna hear ony mair
“It’ll hae been a moose,” he telt himsel, “or some ither wee beastie.”

Doesn't it make your lips twitch? Don’t you just want to taste those words and savour that vocabulary by reading the lines aloud? Isn’t the language warmed with the history of the north?

This book is a belated find. This translation was published in 2008 but I’d never heard of the title or seen it around. Which may, alas, explain its presence in the big metal bookcases, way down in the most difficult-to-discover corner. 

I shall enjoy reading it for myself by the fire, even though I am not sure how useful the sleekit's story would be for many young readers below the border. Or wa sit given free to all the school's in Scotland? Has anyone out there ever used it with children, anywhere? If so, do let me know!

Meanwhile, Happy World Book Day to you all - and to bold Mr Tod and his family safe in their “wee ablow-the-grund clachan.”

.


Return to REVIEWS HOMEPAGE

6 comments:

Susan Price said...

Och, braw!

Susan Price said...

Och, braw!

Ann Turnbull said...

Oh, I love this! Must get hold of it!

Anonymous said...

Understudies should gather conceivable hotspots for directing exploration. Subsequent to picking theme they should begin perusing edited compositions, sections, or distinctive substance relating to their exploration subject.ideas for capstone project

Cassie Bailey said...

Hello I'm so happy sharing this, I still can’t thank you enough powerful Priest Elijah, My husband left for a younger lady because i was unable to give birth due to PCOS,I was so devastated i was lonely i cried a lot i even tried taking my life, Then my friend told me about this great man Priest Elijah who helped her made her marriage perfect, I also went online and did more research about him i was not too sure but i decided to give him a try he told me not to worry everything was going to be alright, He told me all i needed to pay which was a convenient fee and i did and he did his work and sent me video proof and told me to wait 24hrs that he will be back, The next morning to my greatest surprise it was Shawn my husband on his knees begging I'm so happy, It didn’t stop there, I'm proud to say that I'm 3 weeks pregnant thank you so much Priest Elijah I'm forever grateful contact him

universalspellhelp@gmail.com

WhatsApp him +2347054380994

Anonymous said...

Lottery is something majority of the people in the world want to win, not only winning the lottery, but they want to win big, I have been playing the lottery for couple of years now, but I haven't really win big, personally I always think there is something behind all those winners who always win big, because my intense always tell me that every thing is possible, I manage to get in contact with one of the biggest lottery winner in the UK, I asked him about the success, and he referred me to a very powerful spell caster Dr.Prince he is indeed a great man who I explained to, without no hidden details , (I really want to win the lottery so bad) he put to work and few days letter he gave me numbers that never fails , these numbers was what I played and i won £3,000000,00, 3 Million pounds, is blessed , you too can change your life too with his help, contact email: obinnaspelltemple@yahoo.com
WhatsApp him: +18488416266

Post a Comment