Wednesday 5 October 2011

Tribe: Monkey Bars and Rubber Ducks


Tribe: Monkey Bars and Rubber Ducks by T. M. Alexander. Review by Ellen Renner


Once upon a time, books about school friendships were a commonplace. But in these days when 'high concept' is a mantra in the publishing industry, books about ordinary children in real-life situations have become something of a rarity. Series fiction, however, can occasionally offer the younger reader a break from a steady diet of protagonists with special powers and/or an affliction of zombies, vampires or fairies.

In addition, T. M. Alexander has succeeded in creating a series for 8-12 year olds which appeals across gender lines. The Tribe is neither blue or pink; it is merely witty, well-written and positive. Here is a writer who enjoys exploring the wonders and disasters real life holds for real children, and who allows her readers to do the same.

My son and I were introduced to The Tribe in 2010 with the publication of the first book in the series: Jonno Joins. My then 13 year old swallowed Jonno in one sitting, and had very positive things to say about the humour and characterisation. We've gone on to enjoy the subsequent titles: Goodbye Copper Pie, Labradoodle on the Loose and now the fourth instalment: Monkey Bars and Rubber Ducks.

The books are episodic in content and narrated in first person by one of the four Tribe members, Keener. Alexander is spot on with the voice, worries and preoccupations of a ten year old boy. She cleverly incorporates lists and diagrams in the books, sprinkling humour or World Record-like information throughout the text. This lightens the whole and breaks the text into easily digestible chunks.

Instead of affliction at the (dead) hands of zombies and vampires, Keener and his friends – Jonno, Copper Pie, Fifty and Bee – suffer lost dogs, school bullies, scary head teachers and tiresome siblings. The adventures are on the mild, rather than the wild side, but they are engrossing nonetheless, and the reader enjoys spending time with the five very different members of the Tribe. The heart of the books is an exploration of the importance of friendship, but also finding individual identity within a friendship group.

Recommended for boys and girls aged 8 to 12.

Return to REVIEWS HOMEPAGE

4 comments:

Muhammad Danish Khatri said...

Nice article Daily Talk Blog

Cassie Bailey said...

Hello I'm so happy sharing this, I still can’t thank you enough powerful Priest Elijah, My husband left for a younger lady because i was unable to give birth due to PCOS,I was so devastated i was lonely i cried a lot i even tried taking my life, Then my friend told me about this great man Priest Elijah who helped her made her marriage perfect, I also went online and did more research about him i was not too sure but i decided to give him a try he told me not to worry everything was going to be alright, He told me all i needed to pay which was a convenient fee and i did and he did his work and sent me video proof and told me to wait 24hrs that he will be back, The next morning to my greatest surprise it was Shawn my husband on his knees begging I'm so happy, It didn’t stop there, I'm proud to say that I'm 3 weeks pregnant thank you so much Priest Elijah I'm forever grateful contact him

universalspellhelp@gmail.com

WhatsApp him +2347054380994

Anonymous said...

Lottery is something majority of the people in the world want to win, not only winning the lottery, but they want to win big, I have been playing the lottery for couple of years now, but I haven't really win big, personally I always think there is something behind all those winners who always win big, because my intense always tell me that every thing is possible, I manage to get in contact with one of the biggest lottery winner in the UK, I asked him about the success, and he referred me to a very powerful spell caster Dr.Prince he is indeed a great man who I explained to, without no hidden details , (I really want to win the lottery so bad) he put to work and few days letter he gave me numbers that never fails , these numbers was what I played and i won £3,000000,00, 3 Million pounds, is blessed , you too can change your life too with his help, contact email: obinnaspelltemple@yahoo.com
WhatsApp him: +18488416266

Unknown said...

Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the future! Financing made easy with Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS

Have you been looking for financing options for your new business plans, Are you seeking for a loan to expand your existing business, Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and you don’t know which way to go or where to turn to? Have you been turned down by your banks? MRS. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS says YES when your banks say NO. Contact us as we offer financial services at a low and affordable interest rate of 2% for long and short term loans. Interested applicants should contact us for further loan acquisition procedures via profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

Services rendered include:

*Refinancing Loans
* Car Loan
*Truck Loans
* Home Loan
* Mortgage Loan
* Debt Consolidation Loan
* Farm Loan
* Business Loan [secure and unsecured]
* Personal Loan [secure and unsecured]
* Students Loan and so many others.

For more info; Contact us via Email: profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

With Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS. you can say goodbye to all your financial crisis and difficulties as we are certified, trustworthy, reliable, efficient, fast and dynamic

Post a Comment