Saturday 30 June 2012

THE SEWER DEMON, by Caroline Lawrence, reviewed by Saviour Pirotta

LAUGH AND LEARN

There was a time when historical fiction tended towards the wordy and the noble. Authors would constantly take time out of the main narrative to impart what they considered essential information about past cultures. Then along came the ground-breaking Horrible Histories series which blew the reverence out of the water and catapulted historical fiction straight into the land of constant mirth.

Since then it's become de rigeur to add humour to any story about the past aimed at the 7 to 10 age group, with the jokes sometimes outweighing the story.  Caroline Lawrence is, thankfully, too  skilful an author to fall into this trap.  The Sewer Demon, her first title in a new series called The Roman Mystery Scrolls, has humour a plenty. It also has a tight plot, a very accurate sense of place and culture, and characters you will fall in love with.  Oh, and there's plenty of historical facts too, mainly about latrines, dodgy plumbing and fake fortune telling.  Perfect for both avid and reluctant readers.

The main charcaters are a beggar called Threptus and a soothsayer named Floridius who takes him under his wing. They are both beautifully drawn.  Threptus is every-boy, dodging bullies and trying to make sense of a world that seems to have dealt him a tough hand early on in life.  Floridius is a world-weary cheat with a sharp tongue and a heart of gold.  When a rich widow seeks Floridius' help in getting rid of a noisy demon that seems to be haunting the sewers under her house, she sets off a chain of events that will have young readers racing to finish the book.  An exciting and informative read indeed. Can't wait for the second installment in the series.

Return to REVIEWS HOMEPAGE

5 comments:

Penny Dolan said...

Sounds another interesting series from Caroline Lawrence and so agree with you about the need to handle humour carefully.

I have just finished the first book in her excellent and action-packed Western Mysteries series,"The Case of the Deadly Desperados" - and there's a second title out in that series as well.

Unknown said...

Wonderful summission for getting a easy information of sewer drain. My blog site visit. Thanks. sewer company Sanitary Sewer and Potable Water Pipelining Industry US Sewer offers Safety First. Safety persuasion and a well executed instillation procedure is our first priority. OPerations around the United States and Mexico.

Tabitha415 said...

Nicely written--This post is equally informative as well as interesting.Thank you for information you been putting on making your site such an interesting If you have time please visit my sewer companies page.

Unknown said...

Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading.
http://www.alvarezplumbing.com/

Cassie Bailey said...

Hello I'm so happy sharing this, I still can’t thank you enough powerful Priest Elijah, My husband left for a younger lady because i was unable to give birth due to PCOS,I was so devastated i was lonely i cried a lot i even tried taking my life, Then my friend told me about this great man Priest Elijah who helped her made her marriage perfect, I also went online and did more research about him i was not too sure but i decided to give him a try he told me not to worry everything was going to be alright, He told me all i needed to pay which was a convenient fee and i did and he did his work and sent me video proof and told me to wait 24hrs that he will be back, The next morning to my greatest surprise it was Shawn my husband on his knees begging I'm so happy, It didn’t stop there, I'm proud to say that I'm 3 weeks pregnant thank you so much Priest Elijah I'm forever grateful contact him

universalspellhelp@gmail.com

WhatsApp him +2347054380994

Post a Comment