Wednesday 14 August 2019

The Dangerous Lives of the Jacobites, by Linda Strachan and Darren Gate. Reviewed by Saviour Pirotta

THE DANGEROUS LIVES OF THE JACOBITES
written by Linda Strachan
Illustrated by Darren Gate
Published by Kelpies, 2019

Like many people my age, I was a big fan of Look and Learn, an educational magazine that was published for two whole decades starting in 1962. It had a perfect mix of articles taking in geography, science, history and world culture, cartoon-strip versions of famous literary classics and even science fiction.

 For me and, I suspect for many others, the biggest draw was the historical element. Lavishly illustrated by well-known artists of the time, the articles often read like fiction, pulling you back in time to witness the events with your own eyes. I used to wait with bated breath from month to month.

Part of a series called Fact-Tastic Stories from Scotland's History, The Dangerous Lives of the Jacobites has much the same feel. It mixes first-person narratives with nuggets of well-chosen information and fantastic artwork from Darren Gate.

The Jacobites were supporters of the Stuart royal family, intent on returning them to the thrones of England, Scotland and Ireland. They undertook four main uprisings against the English government, between 1688 and 1746. Strachan's story follows a boy called Rob as he joins the uprising of 1745 which culminated in the famous battle of Culloden. With his father and a friend called Jamie, he enlists in Bonnie Prince Charlie's army which marches on London only to turn back when the promised help from France does not arrive. Rob's experiences come alive on the page as the reader is pulled not only into the thick of battle but also discovers the intricacies of life for ordinary people in the 18th century. Rob's sister Aggie remains home in the Highlands but her narrative adds a depth and richness to the book which I found delightful.

A delightful book that readers will enjoy not only for its educational value but also for its page-turning action!

Saviour's new historical fiction is set in the Orkneys during the Neolithic Age. It's called The Stolen Spear and is published by Maverick on the 28 September. Follow Saviour on twitter @spirotta. His website is www.spirotta.com.

Return to REVIEWS HOMEPAGE

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
What's app +2347012841542
Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

Anonymous said...

I have never seen a miracle like this in my entire life.
My husband left me and my 5 year old boy for over 9 months,
I was so traumatized and frustrated, because of the love I have for my husband I seeked for help from different places to bring him back to me but there was no difference. Until my mother introduced me to ( DR DAWN) this doctor promised me that my husband will come back to me in 48 hours after I explained everything to him, and to my greatest surprise my husband called me after 48 hours and was begging me to forgive him that he will never leave me again, all thanks to Dr DAWN because for over 3 year's now I have been happy with my husband and he treats me like a queen,
Contact DR DAWN, if you have any kind of problem.

*TO GET BACK YOUR LOVER.
*TO RECONCILE
*TO GET PREGNANT
*TO CURE CANCER
*TO REVENGE
*TO PROMOTE BUSINESS
*TO GET BACK YOUR MONEY/PROPERTY
*TO CURE HIV/AIDS OR OTHER SICKNESS.
Contact him: dawnacuna314@gmail.com
Whatsapp: +2349046229159

Post a Comment