Thursday 19 September 2019

The Stolen Spear by Saviour Pirotta, reviewed by Chitra Soundar





Set in the Stone Age, The Stolen Spear is the first book in the Wolfsong Series written by Saviour Pirotta and illustrated by Davide Ortu. This series is published by Maverick Publishing.

In this story, Wolf struggles to fit into his tough and strong community. He is kind and sensitive and ridiculed by his peers. Everyone including his older brother know their calling and their place in the society while Wolf stumbles through life with his spirit guardian and dog Shadow.

When Wolf befriends a girl from the faraway island, disaster strikes. Their sacred ground is raided and the spear is stolen. When his community blames his friend, Wolf vows to find the real culprit and bring back the spear.

The adventure that ensues not only shows Wolf’s grit and determination, but also how his kindness is returned by strangers. With the help of Shadow, he travels on the sea that many have never crossed and eventually he finds his calling.


This is my first historical read set in the Stone Age. The author has weaved in the details and places we know about this generation into the story, while also keeping the language fresh and contemporary. The story is engaging and exciting for young readers and the details of the world will make them curious to find out more.

Weaving this tale of adventure for young people, the author has managed to bring out important themes of being different, being an outsider, how some might exploit others and the value of friendships. The story shows the reader that some things are universal through time. We forge friendships, we get jealous, we are scared of the unknown and how we deal with these is how we define ourselves.


Young readers like Wolf will recognise these patterns of emotions in their real life and see the parallels. This is a great book not just to teach history in a fun way, but also to discuss contemporary issues with the readers.

I can’t wait to read this book to my nephew and I’m sure he’ll ask for Book 2 and 3 soon after.


Chitra Soundar is the author of over 40 books for children. Find out more at www.chitrasoundar.com and follow her on Twitter at @csoundar




Return to REVIEWS HOMEPAGE

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have never seen a miracle like this in my entire life.
My husband left me and my 5 year old boy for over 9 months,
I was so traumatized and frustrated, because of the love I have for my husband I seeked for help from different places to bring him back to me but there was no difference. Until my mother introduced me to ( DR DAWN) this doctor promised me that my husband will come back to me in 48 hours after I explained everything to him, and to my greatest surprise my husband called me after 48 hours and was begging me to forgive him that he will never leave me again, all thanks to Dr DAWN because for over 3 year's now I have been happy with my husband and he treats me like a queen,
Contact DR DAWN, if you have any kind of problem.

*TO GET BACK YOUR LOVER.
*TO RECONCILE
*TO GET PREGNANT
*TO CURE CANCER
*TO REVENGE
*TO PROMOTE BUSINESS
*TO GET BACK YOUR MONEY/PROPERTY
*TO CURE HIV/AIDS OR OTHER SICKNESS.
Contact him: dawnacuna314@gmail.com
Whatsapp: +2349046229159

Post a Comment