Sunday 3 June 2018

If I had a dinosaur by Alex Barrow, Gabby Dawney reviewed by Chitra Soundar

I picked up this book on an impulse at Tales on Moon Lane's latest bookshop in South London - Moon Lane Books.


I read it to my nephew and we read it over and over a few times during a 30-minute period and we giggled together at the pictures and the rhymes.

Dinosaurs as favourite pets have been done a few times and here are two others I found.




The story has been inspired by the discovery of the bones of a large dinosaur Titanosaur in Argentina. The little girl in the story wants a dinosaur bigger than her house and of course she imagines what would happen at the swimming pool and school. The illustrations have big white spaces (which is my favourite style) with drawings that look children can learn to draw.



Even though I though the page with the poo will elicit the most giggles, it was the page with the swimming pool where the words contradict the images.

And I think the starting phrase “If I had a dinosaur…” would elicit some wonderful responses from young readers themselves.



Go and imagine having a ginormous dinosaur in your house!


Chitra Soundar writes picture books and is the author of Pattan's Pumpkin (A Power of Reading selection) and You're Safe With Me (a BookTrust bedtime selection). Find out more at www.chitrasoundar.com and follow her on Twitter at @csoundar.


Return to REVIEWS HOMEPAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment