Wednesday 5 February 2020

The Umbrella Mouse by Anna Fargher, illustrated by Sam Usher, review by Lynda Waterhouse


I have often gazed in delight and wonder into the window of the fabulous James Smith & Sons Umbrella shop in London. I even own a painting of it, so imagine my delight to discover a story that begins inside the shop and is about Pip the mouse who lives there with her family snuggled up inside the beautiful Hanway umbrella.  Pip lives there with her parents unseen by the owners but Pip has met Peter their son and he will keep silent about their presence. One day Pip hopes to travel to Gignese in Italy, her mother’s home, and where the only umbrella museum in the world is to be found.
The story is set in 1944 during the Second World War and London is facing the Blitz. The shop is bombed and poor Pip is orphaned and made homeless in one cruel fell swoop. She is saved by the wonderful search and rescue terrier dog, Dickin. Pip’s first thought is to make her way to Gignese but she finds herself involved with Noah’s Ark , a secret gang of animal resistance fighters: ‘since the first wars were fought among men , animals have been secretly helping war efforts in ways humans would never believe, even if they saw it with their own eyes.’
What a wonderful premise this is because it allows the reader to experience war in all its pain and hope, cruelty and humanity through the prism of a mouse’s perspective. The animals explain things so well.  Hans the German rat speaks about how he realised his mistake in supporting the Nazis: ‘One night when I was taking potato peelings I had stolen from the camp kitchen to give to inmates … I found Herr General and two more Goliath Rats attacking a woman too weak to move from where she lay. A deadly fury stirred in my heart and a bitter fight broke out.’
Pip travels to France where she works alongside the animals fighting with the resistance and learns whom to trust and whom to fear. She meets old friends and makes new ones. The story is full of facts and information about the Second World War which will make it a useful addition to a classroom library. Anna Fargher writes so vividly that at no time do you feel that you are being ‘given facts.’ Sam Usher’s pen and ink illustrations add energy and pace to the story whenever they appear on the page.
A heartfelt story of courage, friendship and hope, I cannot wait to read the next instalment.

ISBN 13-926-1529003970
www.panmacmillan.com



Return to REVIEWS HOMEPAGE

4 comments:

Penny Dolan said...

This sounds a delightful tale for a young, animal-loving reader, where a small animal's adventure are woven through the history of WWII.

Maybe one for a child who enjoys books by Michael Morpurgo?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
What's app +2347012841542
Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

Anonymous said...

I have never seen a miracle like this in my entire life.
My husband left me and my 5 year old boy for over 9 months,
I was so traumatized and frustrated, because of the love I have for my husband I seeked for help from different places to bring him back to me but there was no difference. Until my mother introduced me to ( DR DAWN) this doctor promised me that my husband will come back to me in 48 hours after I explained everything to him, and to my greatest surprise my husband called me after 48 hours and was begging me to forgive him that he will never leave me again, all thanks to Dr DAWN because for over 3 year's now I have been happy with my husband and he treats me like a queen,
Contact DR DAWN, if you have any kind of problem.

*TO GET BACK YOUR LOVER.
*TO RECONCILE
*TO GET PREGNANT
*TO CURE CANCER
*TO REVENGE
*TO PROMOTE BUSINESS
*TO GET BACK YOUR MONEY/PROPERTY
*TO CURE HIV/AIDS OR OTHER SICKNESS.
Contact him: dawnacuna314@gmail.com
Whatsapp: +2349046229159

Post a Comment